Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Wednesday, October 24, 2018: Coleus, succulents

I arrived home today from my river cruise through Europe. The backyard looks very good. I checked with Morgan and he said he did not have to mow at all while I was gone. We did have cooler weather and I reduced the irrigation frequency before I left. The temperatures approached freezing last weekend, but the okra is not completely dead and the peppers look very healthy.

While I was in Arizona, I picked up a couple of succulents which I brought home.
DESERT ROSE
Type: Broadleaf evergreen
Family: Apocynaceae
Native Range: Tropical Africa, Arabian Peninsula
Zone: 11 to 12
Height: 3.00 to 9.00 feet
Spread: 3.00 to 5.00 feet
Bloom Time: Seasonal bloomer
Bloom Description: Red, rose or pink with creamy white throat
Sun: Full sun
Water: Dry to medium
Maintenance: Low
Flower: Showy
Leaf: Evergreen
Attracts: Hummingbirds, Butterflies
Other: Winter Interest
Tolerate: Drought

Obviously, the Desert Rose is not hardy in our part of the country. I repotted the plant and it will stay inside.
Desert Rose (Adenium obesum, 5'-9' full sun)
 The other succulents I brought home

L to R: Torch Cactus, Opuntia Basilaris, Sempervivum "cobweb" 



Opuntia basilaris, the beavertail cactus or beavertail pricklypear, is a cactus species found in the southwest United States.



I brought the coleus into the house. This is one that Joyce gave me. It was also still alive, indicating we did not have a hard freeze last weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment